If you require a visa to live in the UK then you will need to obtain it before renting.

If you don't have a valid visa you won't be able to rent.

How do I know if I need a Visa to stay in the UK?

You do not need a visa if you are:

  • a British or Irish citizen
  • a citizen of a country in the EU or EEA
  • a citizen of another country and have no time limit on your permission to live in the UK (such as indefinite leave to remain)

You can have a time-limited right to rent if there's a time limit on your permission to stay in the UK. This is likely if you have a visa:

  • for work
  • to study
  • as a husband, wife or civil partner of someone settled in the UK

If you are not sure if you need to have a visa to rent within the UK, please check in the Home Office website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration

Why can't you help me before I get in my visa?

Without a visa you will not be able to pass referencing (background checks carried out by estate agencies) and so if you make an offer on a property before you have one, your offer will be rejected.

International students

Your university can help you with getting your student visa sorted - so your best course of action is talking to them to collect the correct paperwork for your visa.

Got any more questions? Let us know in the chat

Did this answer your question?